I opened a new branch for version 2.0, which currently holds 1.99.1, and I listed the necessary tasks using the built-in blueprints feature.
So now I have a list of tasks to keep track of the development.
- implement test suite (have a good prototype - I am getting to it)
- replace sleep with check loop (thinking - some analysis required)
- create function library (good progress)
- script to kill unresponsive servers (good progress)
- remote sandbox installer (thinking - hard to implement without being intrusive)
- allow url for tarball (thinking - needs external components)
- define circular replication (thinking - easily doable)
- refactoring for internationalization (thinking - easily doable - long task)
I am unsure about the remote installer. I have implemented such a feature a few years ago, and it turned out to be quite intrusive (the choice was between being intrusive and fragile). I may consider making it a plugin or moving it to a later version. Still thinking.
The development model is open. If you use the Sandbox and want to submit a patch or have comments on its development plans, please contribute!