|Google Summer of Code opens for proposals from March 24th to 31st.|
There are several projects available in the ideas page. I am available to mentor some projects about MySQL Proxy enhancements. If you like any of them or have any other Proxy related project to suggest, feel free to discuss a proposal in the SoC mailing list.
- Please state your programming skills clearly. Don't inflate your previous experience.
- Remember that this is a full time job. You won't have time to spend on long vacations, and you won't be able to work at these projects together with another job;
- A Summer of Code is a full time job. You will be requested to put up 40 hours a week.
- You will be requested to submit weekly reports;
- There are dates when you are requested to submit your results. Please consider them carefully before accepting. If you don't make the deadline, you won't get paid.
And keep in mind that your mentors have a full time job of their own. They will be allowed by the mentoring organizations to dedicate a limited amount of time to Summer of Code (even though I know of mentors who have dedicated much of their free time to SoC projects). In this situation, if you work hard, you will be making your time and theirs worth the effort, and everyone wins.
Instead, if you overcommit at the beginning, or don't work hard throughout the summer, it will be a wasted experience for all.
That said, cooperation between companies with experienced developers and students willing to prove themselves has often resulted in excellent work. If you know what awaits you and you are willing to try, you are most welcome!