Saturday, November 08, 2008

Italians strike back





What follows is the text of my "Swedish" blog.
Look mom, I am blogging in Swedish!
I am starting a blog in Swedish. Now, why should I do such a thing? I usually blog in English, and I don't even bother blogging in my native Italian. Most importantly, I do not speak Swedish at all. So, why bother?
My friend and colleague Kaj Arnö had the gall of starting a blog in Italian, a fact that surprised me and made me envious at the same time.

He started talking about Italy, a country he visits often and he loves. I have little experience of Finland, having visited only once, but where I enjoyed warm hospitality.
I Visited Kaj in his homeland, in Nagu, a charming island West of Turku. The weather was not warm, but friendship and good food was a suitable compensation.

I am choosing to blog in in Swedish because Kaj's mother tongue is Swedish, although he lives in Finland. During my visit to Nagu and other island of the Finnish archipelago, I heard little Finnish and plenty of Swedish.

This experiment wants to show that anyone can blog in (mostly) any language, given the right tools. Hello Kaj!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So that blog is readable by a swede, although it's not 100% correct, it certainly is understandable and very very good for someone not speaking swedish at all!

Good luck with your future swedish blogging, I - for one - will follow it.

Kaj Arnö said...

Fantastic! Amazing! Encouraging! And completely understandable. So, a grindstone, it is! And if Google can translate the preceding sentence, so that you understand it, yes I am impressed.

This is what Google Translate made of my Swedish comment to your English blog. And "So, a grindstone, it is" is what came out of a colloquial expression with the meaning "That is the way to do it!".