Thursday, April 16, 2009

Quiet excitement at UCLA


fire

The second leg of the Southern California MySQL Campus Tour was at UCLA.
There was less attendance than Cal Poly. Only 22 brave souls who endured a lengthy session with a long tail of Q&A.
The excitement came on my way back to my hotel, 25 miles from the campus. Distances have a different meaning here. A few dozen miles is just a tiny portion of the town, and so I found myself once more driving the endless highways of Los Angeles.
When I was almost home, I saw all the cars in front of me stopping, for what I believed was a traffic jam. Instead, it was a truck that was burning fiercely. When I realized that almost everyone was escaping to a side road, I took a rapid picture and then I followed suit in a prudent retreat.

No comments: